Friday, August 16, 2013

Sharing the Savings

I have a passion for saving money.   I always have.  Growing up, getting good deals and finding things on sale was a game I loved to play.  In high school, I worked at local restaurant and to the disbelief of my friends, saved that money instead of splurging on a fancy car or little indulgences that add up.  I left my small town and headed to Washington DC for college.  By working jobs and internships through college and graduating a semester early (as well as scholarship assistance), I managed to pay off all of my college loans upon graduation.

Now in my late 20s, my passion for deals and saving and overall financial well being has served me incredibly well.  While working in the nonprofit sector (obviously not the best paying field, but one I truly enjoy), I have managed to build an incredibly strong financial profile.  I purchased a condo in 2010 and put 20% down.  My excellent credit score got me a great interest rate, and earlier this year I refinanced for an even better one.   I have a solid savings, and am ahead of track for my age on retirement investments.

I constantly find myself sharing savings ideas, deals, and opportunities with friends, family, and co-workers.  They come to me for help and ideas, and I love to do it. 

I also live an incredibly full life.  Being financially responsible doesn’t mean being deprived.  There are people who prefer to truly live on the minimal amount needed to maximize savings to their fullest, but I support a more balanced approach.  It’s what works for me.  I’ve thought about starting this blog for quite some time, and I’m finally moving on it.  Last weekend, my boyfriend and I went to a comedy show by a celebrity and a major league baseball game and we paid a total of $12 for admission for the two of us combined to both.  That was when I told myself I’ve got to start this blog.

This is a streamlined way for me to share ideas for getting great deals and finding free and low cost opportunities for fun with my friends, family, and anyone else who may be interested.  Instead of emailing a bunch of people when I find an exciting opportunity, I can just post it here for those who might be interested.

I am not a financial planner, and am not presenting myself as one.  I’m simply someone who has always been “good with money” who wants to share the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment